Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Power of Dreams!

On December 14 2012, my life changed FOREVER! The day I gained admission into my top choice medical school. Halleluyah! :D 

At an early age of about 7 or 8 ( not too sure), I decided that medicine could be what I wanted to do "when I grew up". I recall my Uncle asking me then, in the hallways of Emel Hospital (in Africa) what I wanted to be and I, without reservation, stated boldly that I wanted to be a 'doctor!' "Ohhh", he said, "you want to be a medical doctor?". I shook my head vehemently and stated No! I want to be a doctor!  Haha! In my little 7 or 8 year old mind, I did not want any attachments to my becoming a doctor... Only God in heaven knows what I meant then, because I still am yet to figure that one out..(sigh)...lol.

I, however, did not become convinced about medicine until I became a patient myself. In 1999, ( I remember that because of the 1999 Africa Cup of Nations Soccer tournament..;o)), I fell victim to the dreaded Typhoid fever disease. I don't recall too much  about that season of my life, but I remember vividly that the disease WAS. HORRIBLE.

Anyhoos, fast forward to 2004, I arrived in the US to pursue my dream of becoming a doctor. Due to some issues, I decided to forfeit my Pre-Med route and signed up for Nursing in my sophomore year of college.  
As a nurse, I worked hard and thrived in every aspect, but something was STILL missing...i didn't feel fulfilled. It was my love for Medicine and desire to still be a physician; I knew that I had to return to my first love. With guidance from the Holy Spirit,  I made up my mind to go back to school to complete my pre-reqs and embark on my lifelong journey into medicine. But BOY! I sure wasn't aware of how challenging the journey that I was about to embark on was going to shake me to my core!
After a SERIES of tests, trials and temptations to remain with Nursing (since I knew that well enough!), I persevered and endured. I learned more about GOD, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and definitely learned so much more about myself and the tenacious spirit inside of me to possess my DREAM and hold on like Jacob did saying, "I will not let you go unless you bless me!"

Many people were aware that I wanted to be a "doctor" and many did NOT understand why an RN of 4 years "could not just go get your Masters and be a Nurse Practitioner?". Aha! Therein lies the power of a DREAM!

Stay Tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment